The English language is an extremely popular language that can be found in a large amount of different regions around the world. As so many of us are choosing English over other languages as our first language I would say that it is an extremely important language to learn, in terms of its usefulness learning another language alone is a great skill that improves employability and should you not already know the language it is a great tool to have under your belt. For those of you that are not as familiar with the English language there are a variety of reasons why it is so important that you put effort into mastering it such as :
- Knowing multiple languages improves employability and having a mastery over English can mean you have quality customer service skills as you are able to communicate effectively.
- It can open a lot of new avenues in terms of travel, because English is such a widely spoken language you don’t have to worry about that pesky language barrier because so many places have a population that speak majority English and for those that don’t it shouldn’t be too hard to find those who speak English whether it be shops bars or restaurants or even through other tourists.
- For those that live in majority English speaking places it can really affect your sense of community if you are unable to properly communicate with your neighbors, taking the time to learn the language of the place you are living in can really improve your lifestyle as it gives you the ability to socialize and make friends.
- Another great reason to master English would be that it is a great way of boosting cognitive function, by taking on the mammoth task of learning a new language you are essentially boosting your knowledge due to how much time, commitment and concentration it takes to learn a new language.
There are a variety of things that you can do to begin to learn English in a way that suits your capabilities and lifestyle , for example :
- Attending classes – by attending classes you are able to experience a hands on approach to learning a new language and learn amongst people that are in the same situation that you are. Learning amongst like minded individuals is a great way to keep the process relaxed and remove any embarrassment you may feel about the subject as everybody is in the same boat and going through the monumental task of learning English.
- Watching TV – watching TV with the subtitles on is a great way to expand your vocabulary and get a feel for how different words are used in conversation and how they sound. With accompanying subtitles it is easy to learn the spelling of different words whilst also hearing them on the TV making for extremely efficient vocabulary expansion.
- Playing games – with the wide variety of word based games that are currently available for purchase there is absolutely no reason why learning English cannot be fun. Learning a new language whilst having fun can help to take away from the serious nature of the task and there are some great ones out there such as scrabble and Unjumble Words. These games are a great way to get your family involved with your progress whilst being extremely educational, these games tend to challenge you to make words out of a selection of given letters, encouraging you to learn in this way means that you are totally reliant on your own knowledge making it a great way to expand your vocabulary.